Fruit & Vegetable Smoothies are a Magic Bullet to Slimness | chelseanow.com

Fruit & Vegetable Smoothies are a Magic Bullet to Slimness

July3CN_SmoothieBY CARLYE WAXMAN RD, RDN  |  There’s no debate about what constitutes the full biological value of vitamins and minerals in your fruits and vegetables. In any form, these low-calorie foods aid in weight loss — but when vegetables are cooked, we know there is some loss of their vitamins and minerals. This could be the biggest reason that the raw foods diet became popular and widespread. So how much of these vitamins and minerals do we really need….and how crazy should we get about maximizing them?

Though I’ve worked in the field of dietetics for the past five years, I’ve just recently started drinking fruits and vegetables. As a former firm believer in eating your foods instead of drinking them, I now have a newfound appreciation for vitamin-rich and slim-feeling shakes. They not only make me feel “healthier,” but also start my day off right on the weekend.

Before I go into my secret smoothie recipes, I’d like to break down the difference between (and the relative merits of) juicing and blending — a debate I had during a random dinner conversation amongst nutrition enthusiasts. It all started with wedding gifts of a juicer and a Magic Bullet (whose long-running infomercial most late night or weekend couch potatoes have seen by now). The couple wasn’t sure which contraption to keep.

My Bullet, thanks to my cousin who apparently had no use for it, has become my new favorite appliance. Though not a “real juicer,” it can pulverize my spinach and kale (which makes it taste creamy, as opposed to frothy). I feel bad about the left-behind pulp, so I add that back in after. I’m very happy with this — and the fact that it fits very snugly behind my Keurig machine in my two-by-two kitchen.

So clearly, I was a bit biased during this debate. The others at the table started talking about the benefits of juicing. While the newlyweds were waffling between their juicer or their Bullet, I was thinking that the former — a huge, expensive machine — must have a healthy purpose, right? The answer to that depends on what you are trying to get out of your fruits and vegetables.

By far, blending is the best at delivering the most nutrients and fiber. It also promotes satiety and weight loss. Blending does introduce some oxygen and heat, so this method can decrease the amount of Vitamin C and some B vitamins. But how much do we actually need in our bodies? One cup of carrots alone has 407.6 percent of your Vitamin C needs, so I think you’re okay. Some super foods you can have in large quantities, like spinach and kale. With only 15-30 calories in two cups of these greens, you’re getting a very large amount of fiber, iron, Vitamin A and C.

When you juice, fiber and some nutrients are removed. This can promote overeating, as we don’t get full on the sugar of the fruit and vegetables. In fact, that mechanism will spike your blood sugar levels — which isn’t the best for your body, and definitely not good if you are a diabetic. The calories are concentrated when juicing, especially if you use more fruit than vegetables, and can promote weight gain. The only benefit I can see with juicing is that if you can’t have fiber due to specific diseases like Crohn’s Disease, diverticulitis, or irritable bowel syndrome, juicing can be a good way for you to get vegetables and fruit into your diet. Please note, taking out fiber does not make vitamin and mineral absorption more prevalent. It makes sugar absorb more quickly into the bloodstream, which is not the same thing.

I’m more of a “weekend” vegetable drinker. On the weekdays, I have a hard time parting with my beloved coffee in my one free hand. I attempted this on one occasion, and drank them both interchangeably — trying to enjoy both the coffee while it was hot and the green giant while it was cold. It was disastrous, and I annoyed a lot of subway commuters when swiping my MetroCard. Perhaps when I live in a less urban area, I can commute with a car and therefore not have to make such a drastic decision between the two beverages.

Having the routine of a large, ice cold vegetable smoothie and a full workout before noon keeps me fit on the weekends and inspires me to eat healthier throughout the day. I hope this message serves as the same motivation for you. Below are my “Secret Smoothie Combos.” Not only a foodie, but also a food expert, I know what vitamins and minerals can do together in the correct combination — and with that in mind, I’ve made these drinks flavorful and functional.

THE GREEN GIANT
This one has two things that go together like peanut butter and jelly: Vitamin C and iron. Vitamin C is iron’s BFF. It makes the iron more biologically available (and iron is responsible for increasing your blood oxygen, giving you more energy). You’ll feel like a giant after this drink, but won’t look like one.

· 3 cups of spinach (about 40% of your day’s worth of iron)

·  2 tbsp. lemon juice

·  1 orange, without pits — squeeze first, remove pits, blend (over 100% of your day’s worth of Vitamin C)

·  8 ice cubes

·  5 fresh mint leaves

GREEN APPLE GREENS
Vitamin A is essential for immunity and bone development. High levels of this in your body can reduce the risk of several chronic diseases. It’s great for your cell growth and vision. Since Vitamin A is a fat-soluble vitamin, you should maximize its absorption by combining it with a healthy fat, like nuts!

·  2 cups of Kale (>300% of you day’s worth of Vitamin A)

·  1 green apple

·  14 almonds

·  1 oz. of apple juice

·  8 ice cubes

·  5 fresh mint leaves

CARROT GINGER NUT
For a more “nutrient rich” option, which works well as a lunchtime smoothie, I’ve added some magnesium, protein and beta-carotene. A high intake of magnesium can give you greater bone density. Magnesium works in muscle contraction as the relaxer, so it’s good for the heart.

·  2 large carrots

· 1 celery stalk

·  14 walnut halves

· 2 tbsp. fresh ginger

· 2 tbsp. lemon juice

·  1 orange, juiced seeded and added to blender

·  8 ice cubes

SIMPLE STRAWBERRY SMOOTHIE
Protein is proven to keep you full and focused, and it helps achieve weight loss. The added magnesium from almonds will aid with cell production, while protein contributes to the repair of body tissue. Drink this after your workout, for maximum effect!

· ½ tbsp. agave nectar syrup

·  1 cup of fresh or frozen strawberries

·  ½ mango

·  1 cup of FAGE 0% Total Greek Yogurt

·  ½ cup skim milk

·  14 almonds

·  8 large ice cubes

·  5 fresh mint leaves

BLUE COLD BLUSTER
Sometimes when I feel like I’m getting sick, I try to maximize my Vitamin C. Strawberries have a very high amount — but combining them with other berries and lemon breaks down kale’s bitterness, and makes a naturally sweet-tasting shake!

· 1 cup of blueberries (15% of your day’s worth of Vitamin C

· 8 strawberries (>100% of your days worth of Vitamin C)

·  2 cups of kale (90% of your days worth of Vitamin C)

·  2 tbsp lemon juice

·  ½ tbsp. agave nectar

·  8 large ice cubes

Carlye Waxman is a Registered Dietitian living in NYC. For free recipes, nutrition tips and smoothies, visit SweetNutritionNYC.com and sign up for her newsletter.

54 Responses to Fruit & Vegetable Smoothies are a Magic Bullet to Slimness

1. Felicia July 18, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Thank you for such a great post! It was very informative and helped me make a more informative decision about which direction I wanted to go in as far as juicing or blending. I am definitely a smoothie girl!

• Carol Wood January 1, 2014 at 8:49 am

Thank you for the education! More questions: Are there any dangerous combinations of fruits/veggies? Can they be toxic if combined improperly? Should we ever blend the whole orange? whole apple?

2. Janet August 21, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Thank you for posting. I just got a Magic Bullet, and I plan to try the Blue Cold Bluster. We grow Kale, and I know how nutritious, yet bitter, it is.

3. commercial masticating juicer September 4, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Wow, wonderful blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?

you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is magnificent, let alone the content!

• Susan May 12, 2014 at 10:52 am

Just received my magic bullet, looking for some simple recipes for weight loss

4. Devlin September 11, 2013 at 12:17 am

I have started the veg/fruit smoothie and it really helps with energy, weight loss and etc.

5. denver auto accident lawyer September 13, 2013 at 1:27 am

Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google,
    and found that it’s really informative. I am going to watch
    out for brussels. I will appreciate if you continue this
    in future. Lots of people will be benefited
    from your writing. Cheers!

6. fred kilon September 17, 2013 at 2:35 am

This is a very healthy way to lose weight..

7. Carlye Waxman September 20, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the comments and glad you enjoyed this article! Carlye SweetNutritionNYC.com

8. Esther September 29, 2013 at 7:56 pm

I still like the crunch of chewing my vegetables rather than juicing but I have the time to eat slow and leisurely enjoying every bite. Blending food sounds healthier leaving the fiber and vitamins intact.

9. JimPatton October 12, 2013 at 8:16 am

Vegetable Smoothie is one of best ways to get all of your vegetables. This article really shows that it can be fun to eat your vegetables. Even my grandkids enjoy making them.

10. yoga poses October 15, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Like!
    Thanks for helping me get back on track after a week of feeling out of control.

11. kozui slimming suit October 18, 2013 at 4:20 am

For a long time ago Fruit & Vegetable Smoothies can be used to reduce weight. I agree with you in this article…

12. Moreinfohere October 29, 2013 at 5:45 am

Anyone slimming down must be motivated to base treats and meals from entire meals, which describes meals that has not been refined or adjusted with preservatives and chemicals. The meals on your plate ought to resemble its resource as very closely as possible, like fresh chick busts as opposed to crunchy chicken fingers with ranch soaking sauce.

13. Moreinfohere October 29, 2013 at 6:05 am

Hi, it's absolutely nothing interesting … I understand. Yet, if you fix these 3 large blunders, you'll dramatically improve your weight management initiatives and improve your wellness. So don't destroy your diet regimen and health and wellness, make the change today.

14. Isabel November 2, 2013 at 10:22 am

Thanks for this useful post. I like smoothies a lot and for slimness achievement such fruit vegetable smoothies pretty much helping me. It's really amazing.

15. Click Here November 6, 2013 at 6:51 am

These homemade detox drinks for weight management are an all-natural means to thaw the fatty tissue fast. Detoxification gets rid of toxins and helps you reach your weight-loss goals in a reasonably brief period of time. So naturally it's a great suggestion to detox your body often.

16. smoothie maker November 6, 2013 at 10:13 am

Thanks for recepie but not only natural drinks – also everyday aerobic traning is important for lose weight :)

17. More Details November 8, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Another one of the more well-known "weight loss fat burner secrets" is to do regular exercise. It is hardly likely that you will increase your metabolism if you only workout 1 day a week, even though 1 day is still better than no days.

18. David Madrid Moo November 18, 2013 at 4:48 am

Hey Allie! Thanks so much!

19. 90 birthday ideas November 18, 2013 at 6:13 am

There are many people who are worried about their ever increasing weight. They exercise too much as well as diet but don't get satisfactory results. This fruit and vegetable smoothies is very helpful for looking slim and smart.

20. Find out more December 1, 2013 at 4:57 am

A great guideline is to consume 5-6 small dishes each day, beginning very first point in the morning. The faster you eat in the morning, the faster you get your metabolic process kicked in to gear and burning fat. As you present these little, routine parts of meals in to your body, your body is not in anxiety that it won't have electricity to run, so as opposed to keeping everything as fat deposits for later use, it will merely burn the calories as meals as they are introduced.

21. ClickHere December 2, 2013 at 4:16 am

I lately found something HUGE in the physical fitness field. Not merely the health and fitness field however the entire "health and wellness" globe overall. This is a little something that is largely hooked up to abdominal fatty tissue, and I decided to share my know-how because a lot of people don't know this concept or have never understood it in the past.

22. blending machine December 18, 2013 at 6:20 am

Thank you for such a abundant post! It was actual advisory and helped me accomplish a added advisory accommodation about which administration I capital to go in as far as juicing or blending. I am absolutely a smoothie girl!

23. Pingback: Recipes to Try | smile.laugh.and.be.happy

24. Paleo Snacks December 21, 2013 at 12:38 am

Using smoothies as a meal replacement never worked for me. However, I do enjoy smoothies and juices on occasion.

25. Dieting Revisited December 21, 2013 at 1:52 am

Definite;y a great recipe for slimness. Apart from this, Eating 2 to 6 cups of fruits and vegetables daily reduces your risk of heart disease, helps lower blood pressure, reduces the risk of stroke, helps fight some forms of cancer and reduces eye disease and intestinal inflammation

26. coconut oil uses January 4, 2014 at 5:31 am

We these days identified a thing HUGE in the physical fitness field. Not merely this health field however entire "health as well as wellness" world general. This is the little something which is basically installed to be able to ab fatty tissue, as well as We decided to share my personal know-how since lots of people are not aware of this particular idea or maybe haven't recognized it before.

27. 5:2 Formula January 8, 2014 at 12:09 am

Which do not want to have a slim and flat tummy? Avocado is an excellent meal for the decrease of belly fatty tissue. It accountable for decreasing the degrees of a hormone which is involved in the build-up of stomach fat. It likewise contains Potassium which is effective for improving your metabolic process levels and lessens belly fatty tissue.

28. Eating habits January 8, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Thank Carlye for the great article. The importance of vitamins and minerals can never be underestimated, and through the modern lifestyle which is characterized by unhealthy foods as people are always on the go may not have that time to think or pay attention to what goes in to their body. Your ideas on juicing are worth a try for many as this will help individuals to get the right nutrients the body needs. I am going to try some of your recipes and I am sure am gonna like it. Thank you

29. supplement mix January 10, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Juicing is probably one of the best ways to lose weight and cleanse yourself from the inside. BUT…the first 2 weeks of juicing can be difficult.

30. Bariatric Surgery January 13, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Wow, these look great – I'll have to try a few out! :-)

Deborah

31. Green Juice Diet January 18, 2014 at 3:13 am

I might try the Green Giant! Thanks for the awesome recipes. Looks great.

32. tandarts spoed January 18, 2014 at 6:51 am

I love smoothies…so healthy and so delicious at the same time..

33. salaadin January 18, 2014 at 8:38 am

Blue Cold Bluster for me it is just what I need in this bleak and cold spell we are facing at the moment

34. Jej Szczytowanie January 18, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Great article!

35. semo2 January 19, 2014 at 6:08 am

Great weight loss article! thanks a lot, I appreciate it :)

Fast Weight Loss

36. Kati January 22, 2014 at 11:45 pm

My family and I have been drinking smoothies for about 3 weeks now. They consist of banana, carrots, spinach, kale, lime juice,Greek yogurt, berries and ground up chia and flax seeds and coconut water. We all love them and have become to crave them in the mornings. While it seems to be helping every one else with energy and feeling better in general and my husband has lost about 8 pounds, I have gained 10 lbs and it doesn’t seem to be stopping. Does any body know why that would be the case??

• Carlye Waxman February 3, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Hi Kati!
      Its likely that you are having more calories than your body burns off in a day! Having smoothies is great, but should be a meal replacement and not eaten in addition to meals. Try to journal what you eat every day for a week and see if you're maybe just eating too much. It sounds like your smoothies are low cal so that can't be….good luck! Carlye Waxman, SweetNutritionNYC.com

37. Steven White January 29, 2014 at 1:16 pm

The reason extract of Garcinia Cambogia has proven so effective from a slimming perspective is due to the fact that it not only functions as a fat blocker by preventing the formation of fat cells, but also as an appetite suppressant, making you feel full for longer. By reinforcing each other, both sides of this dual action form a potent fat burning combination.

38. pam February 4, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Our household just recently bought the bullet and we will be trying these recipes. Thank you. We all need more greens!

39. Eat Healthy February 7, 2014 at 4:26 pm

My sister got me a magic bullet for Christmas. Thanks for the recipes.

40. DSN4659 February 10, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Thank you for the information and the recipes you extended so graciously. What I need is a recipe for zucchini and yellow squash. I was thinking about adding lemon juice, ice cubes, and probably two small tangelos. However, I am not sure about the taste, but I am going to let you know how it turns out. I just purchased the Magic Bullet and am also new at juicing and smoothies!!
    Thanks again!!

41. Uni February 13, 2014 at 12:42 am

Thanks for the wonderful post. Can I use frozen spinach/kale?

• Sweet Nutrition March 10, 2014 at 10:16 pm

I would say that frozen spinach or kale may taste a little…earthy. Frozen fruit would be much much better! Try buying Kale fresh and not washing until ready for use. It stays much longer. Good luck!

42. nmoney February 16, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Strawberries, cream or yogurt a little sugar, mix everything ….. Simple, quick, delectable and healthy

43. Weight Loss NYC February 26, 2014 at 4:23 pm

The example for the low carb days are not low carb! Milk, pasta, carrots, grapes are all not low carb. My blood sugar spikes if I drink even a tiny bit of milk, eat grapes, carrots or any kind of pasta. In fact I drink milk if I need to raise my blood sugar. Always check your blood sugar to see how it will react. Most diabetics would not be able to manage this diet.

44. Julia Dave February 27, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Weight loss is a tough process. Following the best plans is highly important to lose weight significantly. Thing is I'm looking forward to follow some of these new ways to weight loss.

weight loss programs nyc

45. paleo fast food April 4, 2014 at 6:47 pm

These smoothies look great. I like them as a special treat.

46. Christine Boatright May 13, 2014 at 3:00 pm

I have a friend who is used to vegetable/fruit smoothie she said it's really a good detoxifier. I wanna try this GREEN APPLE GREENS soon. Thanks for sharing anyway.

47. VItamix June 20, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Looks good and I love smoothies – always looking for new ideas – thanks for sharing!

48. vitamix June 22, 2014 at 8:54 am

Nice article, I added juices in my diet for weight loss, whatever you said is correct only juices can't help in weight loss, the diet must be complete and nutritious including proteins and healthy fats along with regular exercise.

49. Dan Craig June 26, 2014 at 7:21 pm

I love fruit smoothies.. bought a very expensive blender a few years ago and tried to drink freshly made smoothie everyday.. it just got too expensive in the end and the blender has been in hiding in the cupboard ever since.

50. Maureen August 16, 2014 at 10:47 am

My son, age 20, is having a tonsillectomy next week. Can you give me some ideas on what kinds of veg's I could juice for him to swallow with a very sore throat at the same time to help coat his stomach for the meds he will be taking. I've read blogs that say fruits may be too acidic for him. I do have the Magic Bullet.